Common Questions and Answers

I will need my room only during the week. Will I be charged for the weekends?

The housing bill will include the time the room was reserved for your use. You will be billed for the nights that you have checked in and stayed.  If you do not check out, you will be billed for all continuous nights.

Will I have a private room?

Rooms in our apartment style residence halls share common spaces, but you do have your own bedroom.  A bathroom is never shared by more than one other person. However, rooms in our traditional residence halls share all common spaces.  If you choose a double room rate (traditional hall only), it is expected that you have a roommate as we will not assign individuals to other participants.

Will I have a private bathroom?

That depends on which hall you stay in.

Our traditional residence halls have community bathrooms, while our apartment-style hall bathrooms are private within the apartment.

How will I pay for the room and how much will it cost?

A billing statement will be generated from the information provided by the Conference Office regarding your stay. Payment instructions will be included on the statement. At this time, we do not accept credit cards, cash or checks at the hall office for the cost of housing. If you are a university student, the bill will be processed to your U-bill.

Where can I eat meals?

Dining services will be open at the Piazza Dining Center and Biscotti's, both in Redeker Center and the Maucker Union Food Court.

Will I be living with teenage students?

Adult-only housing accommodations are in a building separate to that of our youth groups.

Will I need to bring my own linen?

All rooms come equipped with a bed that has a mattress and pad, two sheets, a covered pillow and a blanket. Two towels, soap and a cup will also be provided in your room. A weekly linen exchange is included in the cost of your room. If you wish to have a linen exchange more frequently than weekly, a request can be made at the hall office. The cost of $4 for this service will be included on your invoice if you are the party responsible for your housing expense.

Is there a vending machine area?

Vending machines are located on the ground floors.

If someone needs to reach me, who should they contact?

The 24-Hour emergency number for University of Northern Iowa University Police is (319) 273-2712.
Rider Hall office (319) 273-2249
Panther Village office (319) 273-7894
Department of Residence office (319) 273-2333
It will be important for the caller to know the name of the workshop you are attending and the residence hall.

Where will I park?

Guests may purchase a daily, weekly or summer session permit from University Police Parking Division or from the hall office during check-in. The University of Northern Iowa is a beautiful pedestrian campus with most facilities within easy walking distance.

Can I use the wellness center?

A daily use permit is available to workshop guests for $5/day or $15/week. The Wellness and Recreation Center hours are listed on the web:

What about leisure time in Cedar Falls?

The Cedar Valley area is well known for bicycle trails, golf, antiques, shopping and water recreation. The Hearst Center for the Arts is located several blocks east of campus on Seerley Boulevard. George Wyth State Park is on the bicycle trail system, which can be accessed less than a mile from campus. The metro bus system connects to campus at the east edge of campus (College Street and Seerley Boulevard). Local restaurants are plentiful, as well. More information is available through the Cedar Falls Tourism and Visitor's Bureau.  

Where can I get a church schedule?

There are several churches within walking distance of campus. Church names are listed in the local phone book yellow pages or by searching online.

Is there a place to do laundry?

Yes. Each hall has one or more laundry rooms and come complimentary with your stay.