You are here
Contract Completion Guide
1. Log in Errors
If you are having issues logging in to the housing and dining contract, please verify that you do not fall into one of the following categories:
- You are not an admitted student.
- Your admission was just completed today. This means your information is not yet in our housing database. (Please allow overnight processes to run for your information to be added.)
- You are a student currently living on campus and the recontracting process has not yet started.
- You are an admitted student at one of our partner schools (Hawkeye Community College and Allen College) and your information is not yet in our housing database.
- You changed your CatID username and the new information is not yet updated. (Please allow 48 hours for information to be updated.)
If you need further assistance with getting logged in, please contact the Department of Residence at 319-273-2333 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Personal Information
- You will need your CatID to access the online contract. For questions regarding your CatID, contact the Computer Consulting Center at (319) 273-5555, email@example.com.
- Once logged-in, carefully review your personal information and contact Admissions to correct any errors as necessary. You will also be asked to provide Missing Person Contact Information on your housing and dining contract.
- Students who are under the age of 18 at the time of starting the contract will provide their CatID user name and birth date, and will have their parent or guardian provide their electronic signature online in the contract.
3. All-Gender Housing
All-Gender Housing allows students the freedom to choose a roommate of another gender. You must opt-in within the contract in order to search for other students who are also interested in all-gender housing and to see these inclusive spaces during room selection. Learn more on our All-Gender Housing page.
4. Panther Profile/Roommate Selection
You have the option to be included in the roommate search process via Panther Profile. Roommate Selection is designed to assist you in finding a compatible roommate based on each other’s Panther Profile. It’s also necessary in order to designate a specific roommate of your choice. In order to request a roommate, both of you must have a contract started.
If you would like to use this feature for roommate selection, you must first complete your Panther Profile (returning students should update their profile). Make sure to include yourself in the roommate searching process on Panther Profile by checking Include in Search box. To search for a roommate, you can:
- Suggested Roommates – this option provides you with a list of students who best match your Panther Profile. You can view profiles, communicate with potential roommates and add a student to your group. You can also view groups looking for a roommate.
- Search by Details – this option will allow you to add a specific roommate request. You will do so by entering their full first (legal) and last name and birth date (optional). The requested roommate must accept the request to join the group to complete this process.
- Search by Profiles – this option will allow you to search for a roommate by any of the profiles in Panther Picks. Select the profile you want to search by and click the Search button. A list of students matching this profile will be shown. You can view the entire profile, communicate with potential roommates and add a student to your group.
- Create Group – You must create a group to complete a roommate request. When you have found someone you want to room with you will create your group in Roommate Selection.
- Choose a group name and password you will remember. Passwords can be as short as one character and suggestions are provided for creating a strong password. This password will be shared with any student you request to join your group.
- Groups contain 2 to 4 members.
- You will receive a message that your group has been created.
- Invite your requested roommate(s) to join your group. Your requested roommate(s) will receive a message via email and will need to log back in to their contract to complete the roommate request (accept or decline).
- Join Group – You can send a request to join a group you find in the Suggested Roommates section. A message will be sent to the group leader to reply to your request.
All information captured in your profile remains confidential and will not be shared with a third party. If you do not participate in Roommate Selection, you may be assigned a roommate through random selection.
5. Residence Hall Assignment Priorities
Hall priorities (preferences) are not entered on the contract as most students select their own room. Individual requests for a particular hall or type of room may be entered on the personal requests section of the contract.
6. Meal Plan Options
View our Meal Plans to determine which plans you are eligible for and to choose the one that best fits your needs. You will choose your meal plan after you select your room.
7. Disabilities and Personal Requests
We make every effort to accommodate reasonable housing requests related to disabilities and special health needs. Students wishing to request special accommodations in the residence halls should do so with advance notification by completing a request for services available through Student Accessibility Services. This is an online submission process.
- Air Conditioners – The University of Northern Iowa, in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), will provide window air-conditioners as a reasonable accommodation in select residence hall rooms of students with documented disabilities. Air conditioners may be installed in select residence halls for those with chronic health conditions. Typically, allergies are not considered disabling; however, all accommodations are determined on a case-by-case basis. The deadline to submit requests is May 1 for fall semester and December 15 for spring semester. Requests received after the deadline may not be accommodated based on room assignment, or room assignment may need to be changed as not all rooms and halls are set up to accommodate a unit. Requests will be reviewed and a written decision will be provided prior to hall opening. There is a yearly fee for air conditioning. Portable air conditioners are not permitted.
- All-Gender Housing – Please visit our All-Gender housing page for details.
8. Contractual Responsibilities
We recommend that you thoroughly read the contract Terms & Conditions. Agreeing to the terms and conditions will be the first step completed on the Housing & Dining Contract. Please note that this contract is for the full academic year (fall and spring semester) unless:
- You are a new resident spring semester.
- You are a student in the Cultural and Intensive English Program enrolled for only part of a semester.
- You selected both academic year and summer, then it is a 12-month contract
- You selected the Live 2 Succeed Program, then it is for 2 full academic years.
9. Contract Changes/Cancellations
If you wish to make any changes to your contract, you must do so by May 1 for fall semester or November 1 for spring semester by logging back in to your contract. Any changes that need to be made after those dates may need to wait until classes start. Cancellation of a contract for a future term should be submitted through our Intent to Cancel Contract form; cancellation of a contract for the current term (students currently living on campus) are handled through the respective hall office.